In this post, we shall learn about Folk and Classical Dance of India with states or Classical Dances of India . We all know in competitive exam like IBPS, SSC, PSC, UPSC, RAIL etc. one or two questions come from Classical Dance in India. So all Students who Preparing for Government job exam must Know this topic. So let’s see what all are we going to cover today (A) What is Dance , (B) Technique of dance classical Dance , (C) Classical dance of India list (D) All classical dance of India with states , (E) What is Folk dances , (F) Differences between classical dance and folk dance.
Dance is a Physical expression of emotive of music. “Gestures Coupled with rhythmical movement to expressions can be defined as Dance” Expression of mind through body movements. In ancient culture, dance was purely for spiritual practices and in modern society – entertainment. The pleasure of dance is in watching that music through the visual expression. Literary work which gives information ancient Indian is ‘Natyashastra’ by Bharata Muni.
Technique of Dance Classical Dance
According to Sangita Ratnakara and Abhinaya Darpana , ‘Dance has 3 parts.’
- NRITT – Corresponds to drama.
- NRITT – Pure dance – Movement of the body do not express any mood and do not express any meaning.
- NRITHYA – OR ABHINAYA – Along with Hand.
List of Folk and Classical Dances Of India State Wise
List of Classical Dance of India With States
According to Sangeet Natak Academy, there are 8 types of Classical Dances in India .
Bharatanatyam Classical Dance in Tamilnadu
‘Bha’ stands for Bhava which is mood. ‘Ra’ for Raga=Music, and ‘TA’ for Tala =rhythm. Natyam stands for Nithya. Originated in Tamilnadu .
Mohiniyattam Classical Dance in Kerala
- Originated in kerala .
- Performed only by Women .
- Derived it’s name from Mohini of Puranas .
- It has elements of Bharatanatyam and Kathakali .
Kathakali Classical Dance in Kerala
- Dance of kerala
- Born in the temple of kerala.
- Performed in open air at night.
- Themes – epics.
- ‘katha can recite in music by a singer in the course of drums and musical instruments.
- The actor never open his lips.
- Movement of body, facial expressions and hand interpret the play.
- Celebrated facial makeup.
- Green represents Good and red represent Bad characters.
Kathak Classical Dance in Uttar Pradesh
- The dance form of North ( Mainly U.P )
- Derives it’s name from ‘kathaka’ which means story teller.
- He recites from epics with gestures and music.
- Gradually it assumed an elaborate involving Nritt and Nrithya.
- Kathak dance starts with soft and varied movements concluding with fast foot movements and jumps and turns.
- Male dancers usually wear sharvani and velvet cap.
- He ties bells around his ankles.
- Male or female dancers or even as couple dance.
Kuchupuchur Classical Dance in Andropodesh
- The dance originated in kuchupuchur in Andropodesh.
- Traced back to bounce drama of enacted by Brahmanas in temple.
- Theme – Bhagavat Puran, esp. Life of Krishna.
- Famous factor is Dancing up on brass plate and pot on his head.
- Performed both as solo and in a group.
Odissi Classical Dance in Orissa
- Dance form of Orissa.
- As devotion to lord Krishna.
- Based on ‘ Geethagovinda ’
- Used to depict love and devotion to God.
- It was originally temple art, later it famous in Royal Courts.
- Mudras and expressions are similar Bharatanatyam.
Manipuri Classical Dance in Manipur
- Dance form Manipur.
- Describe the plays of Krishna and gopikas.
- Body moves with slow and charm arm movements and movements of fingers
Sattriya Classical Dance in Assam
- Originated in Assam
- Originated in 15th century by Sankardev.
- Performed in SATTRAS (monastries) originally by male. Now dance female too.
- Accompanied with musical composition by Sankardev.
Indian Classical Dance List With State
|SL No.||Classical Dance Name||State|
What is Folk Dances ?
Folk comprises common people and it’s common people’s dance. They are simple, natural and spontaneous expression of everyday themes and feelings. Language is very simple and local. Differences between classical dance and folk dance.
Differences Between Classical Dance and Folk Dance
|Classical Dance||Folk Dance|
|No. of participants – Primarily solo||Group|
|Language-Literary language||Local Simple|
|Dress-Elaborate structure, colour and ornamentation||Simple|
|Format-Artificial atmosphere||Natural Original|
|Audience participation Can only enjoy||Can participate|
Image Source for Article : Wikipedia.org
Also, check various topics
|Important Revolutions in India||Mehrgarh Civilisation|
|Important Dams in India||List of Famous Temples in India|
Thanks for Reading